Sunday, January 15, 2012

Book Beginnings

How to participate: Share the first line (or two) of the book you are currently reading on your blog or in the comments. Include the title and the author so we know what you're reading. Then, if you would like, let us know what your first impressions were based on that first line, and let us know if you liked or did not like the sentence. The link-up will be at A Few More Pages every Friday and will be open for the entire week.

Mr Sidney Stark, Publisher
Stephens & Stark LTD
21 St James's Place
London SW1

8th January 1946

Dear Sidney,

Susan Scott is a wonder.  We sold over forty copies of the book, which was very pleasant, but much more thrilling from my standpoint was the food.  Susan managed to get hold of ration coupons for icing sugar and real eggs for the meringue.  If all her literary luncheons are going to achieve these heights, I won't mind touring the country.  Do you suppose that a lavish bonus could spur her on to butter?  Let's try it - you may deduct the money from my royalties.  Now for my grim news.
The Guernsey literary and potato peel pie society, Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows.


Upon reading these first few lines, I first noticed the date.  I was reading this on the exact same day!  For some reason this gave me a good feeling that boded well for my coming read.  The word rations (as well as the year 1946) immediately meant during the war.  All I know about this book is that it's meant to be about books.  Something I love.  I also know it was a best seller. 

In actual fact I gave this book to my mum the christmas before and she said she couldn't get into it.  Terrible feeling when you've taken the time to choose a book for someone.  Anyway, I took it to give it a try and it's been sitting there waiting for the best part of a year.  I'll let you know how it goes.

3 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I really enjoyed this book! Hope you do, too...and thanks for visiting my blog.

Yvonne @ Fiction Books Reviews said...

I have never read this book personally, although there have been some outstanding reviews about it, so it is still very firmly on my reading list.

The fact that it has reference to Guernsey and the year directly after the end of the war, would in itself be of great interest to me, given that Guernesy was a German occupied territory, so close the the shores of the UK.

Living as we do, near to the South coast of the UK, only a short hop away from the English Channel and the Channel Islands of Jersey and Guernsey, the question is always one of 'what if?'

I await your review of this book with interest.

Thank you for choosing to visit 'Fiction Books' this week, it is always good to 'meet' new people and I love to receive comments.

Yvonne

scribeswindow said...

I'm half way through, hopefully finish in a few days - dependent on how demanding the children are!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...