Thursday, August 11, 2005

That's something I've been meaning to do........

You know how you've always got a list of things you're meaning to do? This month I am (or at least trying to) make two things come to fruition. One, is that I've always wanted to go to a Writer's Festival. I am pleased to announce that I will be attending five events at this year's Melbourne Writer's festival. The other is to start a book discussion group. Yesterday, I sent out details advising people I know that I will be starting one with the first meeting taking place in October. I am feeling very proud of myself right now. :)

The Writer's festival events I am going to see is Karen Joy Flower, author of The Jane Austen Book Club. And yes, finishing this book two days ago did spur me on to start my own book group. Mind you, I have tried to start a book group twice now, and each time things just fell apart.... I'm also going to an event titled "Whatever happened to Miss Marple?", talking about contemporary mystery. Then there's "Women's fiction or just Chicklit?", followed by listening to Alexander McCall Smith, writer of the No. 1 Ladies Detective agency, and lastly I'm going to listen to two Australian writers talk about writing. I'm feeling very excited about this.

With regard to the Book Discussion Group, the first book we will be talking about will be Donna Tartt's The Secret History, in October, and then in December we will be doing Eucalyptus by Murray Bail. This novel is one that Nicole Kidman and Russell Crowe were going to make into a movie - before Russell's ego got in the way that is. I'm hoping to get at least a few people in my book discussion group. Everyone keeps saying they don't have enough time!! So far six yes'!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well good for you. A writer's festival can be the first step towards finding out how much you are willing to enter into the writing industry. It will also open your eyes that you are not the only one with aspirations to be a writer. I recall in the UK going to book lauches and festivals where famous names such as Nick Hornby and Stephen Frye were present and it was eye opener to be in the same room as them. But you can only go to so many classes and festivals, until you find your own voice. I hope this festival allows you find that voice.

scribeswindow said...

Thanks anonymous. I have to admit that I've always been interested in writing, but it's always been well and truly on the "back-burner". Also, undertaking an Arts degree last year has opened me up to much more to the skills and theory of writing. I think it made me much more aware and the consequence of that is immersing myself into more "writerly" type things, rather than just reading, and reading and reading...... Although that hasn't really stopped either.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...