Thursday, June 23, 2005

Jasper Fforde (Review)


The Eyre Affair
Lost in a Good Book
The Well of Lost Plots
Something Rotten
Jasper Fforde

So far there are four books in this series. The first title caught my eye in a bookshop a few years ago, because it related to Jane Eyre, and of course it being one of my favourite novels I had to pick it up and see what this was all about. I read The Eyre Affair and soon following were two birthdays I was to attend. I bought two copies for each of the birthday girls, and they, like myself, couldn't put it down. Luckily Jasper Fforde has made his idea into a series. I say idea, because although there is a plot in each, his books has an encompassing ideal. His books are quite literally set in the literary world!
Thursday Next is the heroine, and she is a literary detective. She is the person who makes sure nothing untoward happens to our main characters within the worlds' canonical texts. There would be no more Jane Eyre if something happened to Mr Rochester, or the story may change completely if an alien was seen traversing the grounds of Pemberley! Thursday, part of Spec. Ops. division is the law and order of our Classics.
Jasper Fforde has a lot of fun with his writing, much to the delight of his readers. There are many literary nuances that as you read them you cannot help but laugh out loud.
I think that even if you're not a big reader of the classics you'll enjoy these books. Really they're books any reader can enjoy. My local bookshop has these books classed in the Science Fiction area. I disagree with this. I think they should be classed in literature as they are definite examples of postmodernism. Thursday Next manages to weild her authoratative prowess through the world of text and in so doing shows the fascinating machinations of the book world.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...